domenica 24 gennaio 2010

Cla













This photograph was taken by Francesco Cocco in Afghanistan. I feel that this image strongly depicts struggle, willpower, and determination. The dog has clearly been severely injured and cannot get up, yet he is determined to move. If you look at its surroundings you see that they are all falling apart and crumbling, just like the dog, yet it still has the will to stand up and continue. I think that the angle is the most important aspect in the composition. The decision to tilt the camera from close to the ground and from the dog's side gives an emphasis to the dog's upward struggle against gravity that a straight on shot would not have given. I believe that photos are best when they are capable of invoking strong feelings and thoughts in the viewer. This image makes me extremely sad, I have a desire to climb inside of it and help the dog, or at least try to comfort it. I can't help but wonder what the photographer was feeling, and how or if these images affected him. I would also be curious to know what the surroundings not shown in the shot are. Are there people around? Why was the dog trying to get up in that moment? Is someone not shown in the image tempting him to get up? It seems to be looking at something. It seems that images such as these produce a series of ethical issues that make them difficult for me to view without a critical eye.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Nota. Solo i membri di questo blog possono postare un commento.